Up and to the newly discovered gym! Yay for"running machines" or treadmills. We took a share taxi out of the city and headed to the alleged "Nokaans Gym" hotel. No taxi driver had heard of it, but it was the only place in town with a gym.
After finally figuring out how to operate the 19th century treadmills, we sweated our way (or at least I did) through 10 miles and "I'm a Barbie Girl" about 5 times in a row (played by the local body builder who didn't even break a sweat or shower after his 2 hour workout in the humidity_ I still can't figure out if he was playing it for our benefit or because he really liked the song. He even replayed it when he left to which I begged Jay to tell him to turn the damn thing off!
After our rallying through upset stomachs and sweating 4 lbs of water, we walked down the dirt road leading back to the main road in a desparate search for peanut butter. (ground nut butter). Thank god we did because this has become our saving grace staple on this trip. A definite item to carrty around with you in Ghana is peanut butter, bread and bananas - a safe bet for food you can get anywhere and a safe bet for your tummy).
HJeading back to the hotel, leaving our sweaty butt stains on the drivers seats (we gave him a large tip), we eaded back to the Savoy, where we showered, changed, made PB and Bananers (an unexpected streak of brilliance on my part, I must say), we hopped on a 3 legged trotro journey to Busua beach.
From Takoradi to Agora, we finally purchased a cell phone and were able to call ahead to hotels. It was only $30US and is actually not the worst deal for the states. Apparently, everyone is obsessed with cellpohones here= you can even find reception in the jungles. And everybody texts! My kind of country. So great.
Stayed at Dadson's inn at Busua for $25.00 GH per night (around 17US) for their suite= beautiful terrace which we could have sat out on and tanned, but it was overcast most of the time ... and a huge room, I would say around 700 square feet with 14 foot ceilings. I felt like we were in an old plantation home.
We celebreated at the Busua Inn, beacuse we were treated to some Western Food. Real buttered bread, real meat and less spicey than most Ghanian food. Gentle on my tummy. Good nites sleep.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment