Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Aug 15th

Woke up to gorgeous sun! Finally!!! Had breakfast at the Soundrest and headed out for sun and pool times at Afrikiko, the riverside lodge. Both of us were feeling somewhat depleted and in need of some UV rays, so this was perfect timing and a beautiful and restful setting.

Actually, it worked out wonderfully that our last few days in Africa were bright and sunny.

Decided to upgrade to Afrikiko and spend the evening here after pool day. Just for a little splurge towards the end of the trip. Ah. Feels good - a comfortable bed.

The most interesting thing that happened today: we were sitting by the pool - the most international assortment of people I have ever seen. Obviously, this is a business resort of some sort. In the states, this place would have cost probably $400 and up a night. Luckily, being in Ghana, it was only $50. But, there was a Muslim family by the pool. The reason they caught my attention is because the women were complete in their robes, head covers and full body attire and dove right in the pool. What do you mean!? Jay was not as surprised by this as I was. I naively figured, okay if you are not allowed to show your body, you don't go in the pool.

I later found out that apparently, this is a big issue, especially in France, where the French govt is deeming it unsanitary for people to bath in a public pool dressed in their robes. Arabs are declaring that it is "freedom of religion" to do so. Personally, being a neurotic Jew, I have to agree with France on this one. After the two wives diving into the pool, the water was somewhat murky and I wasn't really feeling going in there again. I still say that's where I got my head cold (O:

Regardless of this issue, again, this feeling of freedom came over me at the pool. Hearing this family (most likely from Pakistan) speaking half English to their children and making an effort to let their kids play with other Europeans at the pool, I felt some world unity. Ghanaian children and Pakistani children alike, as well as Germans, British and French all drawn together at this tiny little place in Ghana. And moreover, people accepting of the fact that we were from the US and interested in why we chose Ghana. This is hopeful. I felt a sense of community and faith with the world in general that I think was lost at 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment